Hey y’all! After a winter of not much work on the house, it’s full steam ahead! We got our water hooked up a few weeks ago, the roofers are coming early next month, the old roof is coming down bit by bit and the old floor and support beam are gone.
We had a bit of trouble figuring out the order for all of it, but hopefully it will all come together. See, the roofers need water to mix concrete. But right now the water hookup is down at the water tower, around 185 meters from the house. So a guy is coming in the next few weeks to dig a trench to bring the water up. And since he has a mini excavator he’ll also dig out around the house and inside as well. So that means that the inside of the house has to be completely empty. And before doing that, most of the roof had to come down so stones didn’t fall on T when he was taking down the floor. But not all of the roof can come down right away so as to protect the walls until the new roof comes in.
- Take down most of the roof (check)
- Take down the floor and the support beam (check)
- Clean out the house – remove all the stones (not check)
- The terrassier (leveller?) digs the trench, levels out around the house, and digs out the ground floor (not check)
- The rest of the roof comes down (not check)
- The new roof goes up!
I’ll show you the roof later, but this post is all about that beam.
So this is what we were working with back in September, and then what it looked like with the floor removed.
On one side, the beam was directly in the wall. And on the other side, it was sitting on a little dividing wall that is itself sitting on top of the rock that the house is built on. The beam didn’t really have any effect on the structure of the house, it was just holding up the floor.
So here’s the system T came up with, after consulting with the village, of course. Use poles to support the beam as he cuts is little by little. To make up for my lack of posts recently, I documented each and every step!
We tried to count how old the tree was, around 50 when it was cut. Subtract 5 years of drying out from 1889, and the tree was born in the 1830s.
So next up is cleaning out everything from the inside of the house, including removing the dividing wall, so that the guy can dig as much as possible. Au boulot!