The roof – part 2: renaissance

Now that the old roof is gone, the new one can go up! First there was a bit of masonry to take care of, good thing our roofers are also masons.

The lintel of the window in the front needed to be changed. So they took down the stones to get to the wooden lintel, changed it out with one of the old roof beams, and then put the wall back up. They also leveled out the walls all around the house.

DSC07307.JPG
changing the lintel
IMG_20160510_145411.jpg
re-building the wall

Next came the wooden frame. And a layer of cement along the top of the walls.

DSC07312.JPG
pine
DSC07314.JPG
level cemented walls

Now that the frame was done, the roof covering could go up. We decided to use fiber cement roof plates that we will later cover with tiles.

IMG_20160510_144401
plaques sous tuile
DSC07315
putting up the plates

We also had some skylights put in, since there aren’t that many windows. And skylights are cheaper than putting a window in a 60 cm thick wall. They had to be way up near the ridge of the roof to minimize any chances of a leak.

DSC07326
skylights and a leg

Et voilà! The almost finished product.

DSC07336
roof! chimney! skylight!
DSC07337
more roof! and tiles ready to go

The house is dry! Well, there still aren’t doors and windows, but it’s a big step forward. We could leave the roof as is, but we decided to finish the job with roof tiles. The roofers left us the scaffolding until the end of June so we could put them up ourselves.

Next up, S & T tiling the roof!

Advertisements

The Roof – part 1: the takedown

Before putting up a new roof, the old one had to come down. Here’s a reminder of the state of the roof back when we first bought the house:

view from field
covered in holes and ivy

And here’s the ivy that was entrenched in the stones of the roof. This is after we had already removed the bits that we could reach.

DSC07124.JPG
attack of the super annoying ivy

We wanted to save as many of the roof stones as we could to use to make a terrace one of these days. The ones around the edges of the roof are taller than I am, which meant that I wasn’t much help getting them down. So T’s method was to slide them down the ladder.

Once most of the stones were off, we were left with the wooden frame.

DSC07215
blue sky
DSC07226
door frame
IMG_20160507_103958
first floor 360+

Then the roofers came and the real work began. They had super heavy duty equipment so they were able to take down the remaining stones (that were too big for T to take down by himself) and all of the boards and beams. With the stones came the ivy, too.

DSC07292.JPG
ivy, stones and boards gone! scaffolding up
DSC07295.JPG
taking down the beams
DSC07298
our super duper father-son roofers

It took them about a day to take down the roof and put up the scaffolding. Here are some no-roof photos – the house looked even more like a ruin than before! Plus it was rainy and cloudy all week so it looks all ominous.

DSC07304
naked house
IMG_20160510_144830
can’t tell if it looks bigger or smaller
IMG_20160510_144915
beams and boards :/

Next up, the roof goes up!